2013 was a significant year for MumPanel. We decided to undertake one of the biggest, indepth research projects into mums in the UK.
We set some tricky targets – speak to 3000 mums, gather a real understanding of where mums will be in 2014 – what they want, what they need, what brands are getting right and where companies need to work a little harder to make the right connections with families. And finally ensure we spoke to all kinds of mums, not just online but in the community and at the school gate.
And the result of our work is The Big Mum Opinion – where you can find information on mums usage of social media, mums’ trusted sources of influence, consumer engagement points, brand loyalty, and the impact of children on mums’ purchasing decisions, plus much more.
But most importantly it reveals how you can really connect with mums and capture that market.
Here are our top five tips…
1. Give mums honesty, realness and transparency from product through to
communications. Know your values and be ready to evidence them.
2. Be genuine. Deliver products and services that really make a difference. That way you’ll build trust and mums will genuinely recommend you through their own natural word of mouth channels.
3. Be there for mums as a trusted resource. But don’t try to be a false best friend.
4. Offers. 88% of mums tell their friends and family about offers and 81% actively seek out offers. Why not get the mums to be the ones to share and hand out their offers with others.
5. Mums don’t want to feel stereotyped. 33% felt labelled or patronised. Look at mums’ real decision-making and purchasing journeys. Identify and map out key touchpoints, patterns and reasons for differing decisions. Focus on the mum
perspective and you will reach and connect with them better.
You can sign up for the full report (and find an info graphic) on the MumPanel website.